Edward M. Bernstein, Esq. is one of the most recognizable figures in Nevada and one of the state’s premier personal injury attorneys. He has also served as an alternate judge for the City of Las Vegas Municipal Court and as an alternate judge for the City of North Las Vegas. In the year 2000, he was Nevada’s Democratic nominee for the United States Senate.
One of Mr. Bernstein’s most notable accomplishments is his television show, simply entitled The Ed Bernstein Show. He has proudly hosted it for over 25 years, and it has since become the longest-running show in Nevada’s history, airing every Sunday.
Edward M. Bernstein is the owner of Edward M. Bernstein & Associates, a law firm with offices in Las Vegas. He has served as a Judge Pro Tem for the City of Las Vegas Municipal Court and for the City of North Las Vegas. He was the Democratic candidate for the United States Senate in 2000. He has been appointed by the Governor to serve as a hearing officer for the State of Nevada Personnel Advisory Commission as well as a hearing officer for the State of Nevada Department of Administration and the Nevada Board of Psychological Examiners. He is active in serving on committees within the Nevada State Bar, such as the Professionalism Committee and Southern Disciplinary Board and has in the past served as a member of the Nevada State Bar Fee Dispute Committee; Nevada State Bar Lawyer Referral Service Committee and Nevada State Bar Judicial Fund-Raising Practices Study Committee. He is a member of the Nevada Justice Association, having served on its Board of Governors. He is also a member of the Clark County Bar Association and a past member of the Clark County Bar Professionalism Committee. He has been appointed by United States District Court Judge, Lloyd George to serve on the Federal Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group for the District of Nevada and as a member of the Supreme Court Community Relations Committee. He was also appointed by the City Council to serve on a Citizen’s Priority Advisory Committee and appointed by the Mayor to serve on the Clark County Regional Flood Control Citizen’s Advisory Committee and the downtown Las Vegas Business Partnership Committee.
He has litigated approximately a dozen cases to jury decision in District Court and tried approximately 100 bench trials in Municipal, Justice and District Court. He has appeared dozens of times in Worker’s Compensation Hearings and Appeals, as well as in Employment Hearings, Equal Rights Commission Hearings, Nevada Gaming Commission Hearings, Driver License Hearings, The Las Vegas City Council and The Clark County Commission and has appeared and argued before the Nevada Supreme Court. His law firm has helped over 200,000 injured clients. He was selected by the American Trial Lawyer Association as Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
Community Appointments and Service
Since 1989 Ed has been the moderator and host of The Ed Bernstein Show, a 30-minute television talk show, which is the longest running television talk show in the State of Nevada and airs on the NBC affiliate in Southern Nevada. He was also the host of a 30-minute radio program on K-NEWS, which featured prominent Southern Nevadans discussing legal, political and local issues.
Ed has been very active in the community, especially with reference to diversity and minority and medical issues. He has served as an executive board member and is a former presiding chairman of The National Conference (formerly National Conference of Christians and Jews). He was a member of the Committed 100 Men, where he has been a mentor to an African-American boy, who does not have a father. He was a regional board member of the Anti-Defamation League, an organization that fights racism and bigotry worldwide. He has served as a board member of Temple Beth Sholom since 1986 and served as its president for three years. He has served as a director of the Jewish Federation of Las Vegas, and he is an honorary board member of the Catholic Jewish and Christian Student Center at UNLV. His activism in working with diversity in our community has resulted in Ed acting as a moderator for an educational forum regarding minority concerns and working as a founder of the Community Coalition to ease community tensions after the L.A. riots.
He has worked for over ten years to put a stop to drinking while driving with MADD, wherein he and Sandy Heverly developed the first Red Ribbon campaign, which become a national prototype as well as the first Home For The Holidays campaign, which offered free taxi rides over Christmas and New Years to those who had been drinking. He has also produced PSAs and was active as a spokesperson for MADD then STOP DUI.
For several years he has been a Board Member and spokesperson for the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America, and he is the founder of The Edward Bernstein Charitable Foundation and The Bernstein Family Fund for IBD at the Cleveland Clinic.
Speeches & Publications
In addition to being a spokesperson for MADD, Ed has spoken before various community groups including Rotary Clubs; US Small Business Association; Hadassah-Hebrew University Medical Center; The American Marketing Association and Toastmasters, as well as speaking at various public and religious schools. Ed speaks on a variety of topics ranging from ethics, community responsibility, law and marketing. He has spoken on numerous occasions to students at UNLV on law and/or marketing. He has been a contributing writer to Journal of Psychology; Sentinel Voice; El Mundo, Imagenes Magazine; Nevada State Bar Journal, Inter Alia; Clark County Bar Publication, and The Communiqué.
Honors & Awards
Ed has been honored for his recognition on behalf of his work with MADD on numerous occasions. He has been recipient of the Clark County Bar Association’s Professionalism Award, the Citizen Committee on Victims’ Rights Award, the American Muslim Women of Nevada Community Service Award and honored by the Executive of the Year presented by the Professional Secretaries International (PSI). He has been honored for his community achievement by the Women’s American ORT and recognized by Outstanding Young Men of America and Distinguished Men in Southern Nevada.
Long Island University, B.A., 1971
Widener University, J.D., 1975
- United States Supreme Court – April 1982
- Nevada Supreme Court – September 1977
- United States District Court of Nevada – October 1977
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals – October 1977
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania – May 1977
- United States District Court of Pennsylvania – June 1977
- Supreme Court of New Jersey – December 1977
- United States District Court of New Jersey – June 1977
- Nevada Gaming Commission – October 1977
Professional Appointments & Service
- Owner of Edward M. Bernstein & Associates, a law firm — 1977 to present in Las Vegas.
- Judge Pro Tem – Municipal Court, City of North Las Vegas — 1986 to 1988
- Judge Pro Tem – Municipal Court, City of Las Vegas — 1984 to 1994
- Hearings Officer – State of Nevada Personnel Advisory Commission — 1982 to 1992
- Hearings Officer – State of Nevada Department of Administration — 1985 to 1986
- Member – Masters Marketing Group (MMG) — 1987 to present
- Director – Institute for Access to Legal Services (IALS) — 1990 to 1994
- Member – Clark County Bar Association Professionalism Committee — 1993
- Member – Nevada State Bar Judicial Fund-Raising Practices Study Committee — 1993
- Member – Nevada State Bar Fee Dispute Committee — 1994 to 1995
- Member – Nevada State Bar Professionalism Committee — 1995
- Member – Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group for the District of Nevada — 1995
- Member – Nevada Trial Lawyers Association Public Relations Committee — 1995
- Member – Supreme Court Community Relations Committee — 1997
- Speaker – Various Law Seminars and Marketing Seminars
- Board of Governors – National Trial Lawyers Association — 1998 to 2001
- Nevada Supreme Court Lawyer Advertising Committee — 2006 to 2007
- Nevada State Bar Disciplinary Panel — 2002 to present
- Nevada Supreme Court Professionalism Summit Committee — 2009
- Community Appointments & Service
- Democratic Candidate for the United States Senate — 2000
- Owner and Host of The Ed Bernstein Show, a 30 minute television talk show which airs on the NBC affiliates through out Nevada — 1989 to present
- Host of The Ed Bernstein Show, a 30 minute radio program on KNEWS Radio which featured prominent Southern Nevadans discussing legal, political and local issues. — 1990 to 1994
- Host of 60 Seconds political commentary on radio with Hank Tester — 1992
- Clark County Regional Flood Control Citizens Advisory Committee — 1990 to 1991
- City of Las Vegas Citizens Priority Advisory Committee — 1992 to 1994
- Executive Committee Co-Chair, National Conference (formerly NCCJ) — 1992 to 1995
- Presiding Chair – National Conference (formerly NCCJ) — 1996
- Nevada Psychology Board Member — 2006 to 2008
- Board Member – National Conference (formerly NCCJ) — 1992 to 1996
- Board Member – Downtown Las Vegas Partnership — 1994 to 1996
- Founding Member – Community Coalition — 1994 to 1996
- Member – Committed 100 Men — 1994 to 1996
- Host – Arthritis Foundation Telethon — 1993, 1994
- Judge – American Marketing Association’s Excellence in Business Award — 1993, 1994
- Speaker – U.S. Small Business Association and Rotary Club, AARP
- Speaker – Various Public Schools
- Moderator – Educational Forums
- Speaker – UNLV — 1998 to present
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Young Men of America — 1977
- Honorary Recognition by Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) — 1986 – 1993
- Recipient – Executive of the Year Award presented by PSI — 1992
- Recipient – Women’s American ORT Community Achievement Award — 1992
- Recipient – Citizens Committee on Victims’ Rights Award — 1994
- Recipient – American Muslim Women of Nevada Community Service Award — 1994
- Distinguished Men in Southern Nevada — 1994, 1996
- Recipient – Clark County Bar Association Professionalism Award — 1997
- American Trial Lawyers Association –Top 100 Trial Lawyers — 2008
- Recipient – 2013 Mountain States Super Lawyers — 2013
- Recipient – Nevada Justice Association’s Legacy Award — 2013
- Honorary Recognition by Clark County School District for service to Students — 2013
- Governor Kenny C. Guinn Blue Ribbon Award for partnership with Robert Lunt Elementary School by Clark County School District — 2014
- Contributing Writer – Imagenes Magazine — 1992
- Contributing Writer – Sentinel Voice — 1992
- Contributing Writer – El Mundo — 1992
- Author, A Lawyer’s Right to Advertise – Inter Alia — Apr. 1992
- Author, Improving our Image Through Lawyer Advertising – The Communiqué — Dec. 1995
- Journal of Psychology