18 Wheeler Wreck Attorney in Las Vegas
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you already know the crash was serious. A bad semi truck accident can lead to neck injuries, back injuries, and even wrongful death. In crashes involving semi trucks and passenger vehicles, typically the driver of the car is the one who gets hurt, and often the injuries are serious. Crashes involving 18-wheelers or semi trucks are some of the most frightening accidents. Semi truck drivers sometimes break laws by driving while fatigued, in excess of the hours they are allowed, and with oversized and overloaded trucks. You need a lawyer from Ed Bernstein & Associates on your side. Get in touch with your truck accident attorney at 702-240-0000.
The Truth About 18 Wheeler Accidents – Straight from an Attorney
Did you know?…………..
As of January 2010, the U.S. Department of Transportation has banned commercial vehicle drivers, including truckers, from text messaging and making calls on handheld cell phones. If you’re driving a rig over 10,000 pounds or transporting hazardous materials, you could be fined up to $2,750 if you’re caught using a handheld device to text or make cellular calls in the United States.
Tractor trailer trucks have “No-Zones,” or blind spots in the front, back and sides of the truck. When a car is in the No-Zone, the trucker usually can’t see it and that’s how accidents happen. A good rule of thumb is if you can see the driver in the truck’s mirror, the driver can see you.
There is a newly-implemented rule to protect smaller vehicles from going under a truck when a crash happens. Trucks are required to have an underride guard off of the backside. However, they are not required on the front or sides. Commercial truck accidents are quite dangerous with many clients suffering serious injuries, hospitalization, surgery and long-term medical treatment. A truck accident lawyer from our firm understands how to investigate the serious injuries caused by tractor trailer crashes and 18 wheeler collisions. Our staff in Las Vegas focuses largely on auto accident cases, so we know how insurance companies operate – they try to settle cases cheaply, without concern for your future. When you hire a lawyer from Ed Bernstein & Associates, we put our legal know-how to work, fighting for fair compensation.
Guidelines from a Las Vegas Truck Accident Lawyer
Any lawyer from our firm would agree that knowledge is a vital key to staying safe on the road. Here are eleven useful guidelines that our lawyers advise after a tractor trailer or 18 wheeler accident:
- Do not panic, and do NOT flee the scene for any reason.
- Call the Las Vegas Police Department or Nevada Highway Patrol if you’re able to.
- If authorities do not show up at the scene of your tractor-trailer or semi collision after being requested, report it to the Vegas Police Department.
- If injured, see a doctor as soon as possible. An 18 wheeler wreck can cause serious injuries, which are not always immediately apparent.
- Get information from the other party involved, including name, address, phone number, drivers license number (including expiration date), license plate number, registration, and insurance company information such as the company name, address, phone number, and policy number.
- If the owner of the large vehicle is not the same as the driver, you should also obtain the same information from the owner.
- Look for any witnesses to the accident. Get their names, addresses, and phone numbers. This includes people who saw what happened, but were not involved.
- Tell your insurance company that you were involved in a truck accident. Get your claim number and verify the coverages that are available under your policy.
- Make a police report and notify your insurance company immediately about the truck accident, even if the trucker flees the scene. If you are in a hit-and-run accident with a truck in Las Vegas, contact our law firm right away.
- If the driver/owner of the vehicle did not have motor vehicle insurance (which is a violation of Las Vegas law), you need to verify if you have uninsured and/or underinsured motorist coverage. Some insurance companies require prompt notification of these claims, and reserve the right to deny benefits to those who do not follow requirements of their policies.
- If you or someone you care about was in a 18 wheeler crash, contact the office of Ed Bernstein & Associates for a free consultation with an experienced attorney. Your lawyer will stand against any insurance company that tries to get in the way of your compensation. Call a lawyer to take your case now.